Hair Loss Facts
Just the facts.
Hair loss is real. Our methods of reversing it are too.
West+Bond is a completely new type of clinic for reversing hair loss. We are revolutionizing hair restoration using state-of-the-art medical science, minimally invasive robotic FUE hair transplant technology and a comprehensive suite of white-glove-level Complete Care services to create an amazing journey of stylistic transformation centered on you.
The procedure usually lasts a day. The results last a lifetime.
Ask the doctor a question about your unique circumstances, and get a personalized, expert response.
The facts of healthy hair growth.
To understand how and why hair falls out, it is helpful to understand how it grows in its healthy state.
During phase one, hair strands grow at an average rate of approximately a ½ inch per month. Each strand grows for three to five years. This is called the anagen phase.
The second phase, which lasts approximately 10 days to a few weeks, is called the catagen phase. This is a transitional phase where the growth stops and the follicle detaches from the blood supply.
The third phase is called telogen. At this point the hair rests and is inactive for 2-6 months, while still remaining on the head. At the end of the telogen the hair falls out. About 80-100 hairs are lost a day in this way, of the approximately 100,000 hairs on the human head. The follicle then begins the cycle anew, beginning at the anagen phase.
Each follicular unit enters the different phases at different times, so that the natural daily losses of hair are not noticeable when the normal hair growth and loss patterns exist.
The facts of hair loss.
- The average person has approximately 100,000+ strands of hair on their head.
- The lifespan of a strand of hair is approximately five years.
- An astonishing 100 hairs are lost from a normal scalp each day after the hair is done with the resting phase.
- 100 new hair strands replace those each day (in those whose hair is not thinning).
- At any given time, 90 percent of the hairs in your scalp are growing, while the other 10 percent are resting.
- Balding usually only begins to becomes visible once 50 percent of the hair has been lost from the scalp.
- Over 50% of men will experience some degree of male pattern baldness by the time they are 50.
- Forty percent of women will experience some hair loss by the time they are 40.
Some interesting hair trivia.
- Bone marrow is the fastest growing tissue in the body, while hair is the second fastest.
- Hair contains information about everything that has been in your bloodstream over the course of several years, including drugs and alcohol.
- The fundamental building block of human hair is keratin, the same protein found in claws, hooves, beaks, horns and feathers of other animals.
- A strand of human hair is stronger than copper wire of the same diameter.
- People can have seasonal shedding with the most occurring in the spring and summer
- Wearing a hat cannot cause or exacerbate hair loss.
- Diet does not cause hair loss (except in extreme situations).
- Washing and combing hair cannot cause or exacerbate hair loss.
- Not washing and not combing hair cannot cause or exacerbate hair loss.
- Tight braids such as corn rows can result in permanent hair loss over time.
Want to talk more about the causes of hair loss and your best options for treatment? Schedule a free consultation with our physicians and stylists at West+Bond.